Annual VCWC Short Story Contest Returns!
Short Story Contest Will Open on October 1
Contest Deadline: November 15, 2016 at midnight
1st Place: $500
2nd Place: $250
3rd Place: $125
High School Prizes
First - $100
Second - $75
Third - $50
Entries must be family friendly. Entries must be original and previously unpublished. Published means appearing in any newspaper, magazine, or book, whether or not the author received compensation. Self-published and e-published works are prohibited. You may enter as many stories as you like. Those who have won first place in the last three years are not eligible. Entrants may only receive one cash prize.
Format & Presentation
· The document must be saved as a Microsoft Word or PDF file.
· Word Limit: 2,500 words (approximately ten double-spaced pages) or fewer. Submissions not adhering to this guideline will be disqualified.
· Story should be double-spaced using 12-point type, in Courier or Times New Roman font, with the size set for 8.5 x 11 inch paper, with ALL margins at 1-inch.
· Indent the first line of each paragraph.
· Put the title at the top of each page and number all pages at top.
· Author’s name, contact information, and brief bio will be requested as part of submission and accessible only to the contest administrator.
· To guarantee anonymous and fair judging author’s name must not appear anywhere within or at top of manuscript itself. This is important: the most frequent reason for disqualification is a name appearing on the actual manuscript.
We only accept submissions online through user-friendly submittable.com. Submitted stories must be uploaded by midnight PST on November 15, 2016 (end of day!), but we strongly encourage uploading your story before Friday, November 11, at 6:00 p.m. to take advantage of Submittable email support.
Submission fee for each story submitted: $15 U.S. for adult VCWC members; $25 U.S. for adult non-members; and $10 for high school students. PayPal, credit or debit cards are accepted.
Please note that by agreeing to submit a piece to our contest, you are giving the Ventura County Writers Club one-time, nonexclusive publication rights to your winning entry to be published in our biannual anthology as well as temporary hosting or linking on the club's website, www.venturacountywriters.com.
Audience appropriateness, plot, character development, intent/focus, reader interest, style/voice, grammar/ punctuation, presentation, and title will be the judging criteria. All decisions are final. Entries must conform to the contest rules or be disqualified. No submissions will be returned. Finalists will be asked to provide a publicity head shot.
Winners will be notified in early January 2017. Award Ceremony is January 10, 2017.